Nova Scotia Update:
0 new deaths
0 new hospitalizations, 1 released
0 new ICU cases
7 new cases (998 total)
764 tests done
9 more people recovered (661 total)
296 active cases (-2, 30% of cases are active, 70% are concluded)
NS has 0 new deaths today. 35/41 (85%,) NS deaths are from Northwood and 39/41 are from long term care in general (11 different facilities are now reporting cases). As it stands, 95% of deaths and 36% of all cases (360/998) are from long term care facilities. Outside of LTC, the story is the same - NS continues to perform very well day after day. Yesterday, 764 tests were completed with just 7 new cases reported. 70% of ALL cases since day 1 are now concluded. The accurate number of active cases outside LTC is 127. Explanation below.
Couple of important points to note today that make a significant difference:
- The province started reporting active LTC cases but stopped reporting total LTC cases in their daily update
- The province reported that Northwood has 211 active cases still, but Northwood themselves today are reporting just 167 current active cases. That's 44 in the difference. I am unsure where the discrepancy is but I am relying on Northwood accurately reporting their own figures, therefore my data presumes 167 active cases at Northwood, not 211.
- Starting today, Northwood is now also including in their recovery stats, the residents that are recovered but NOT in their offsite recovery facility. This accounts for 48 additional reported recoveries we just found out about today.
- The other 44 LTC cases from the other 10 facilities only have 2 active cases as per the province, both staff members. This data was not previously available, so I was estimating based on the Northwood recovery rate. This is why you see the large difference/increase in outside LTC active cases today, because it should now be 100% accurate with no estimation required.
Global Death Rates:
- NS has 41 deaths, making the death rate 41/1M population
- Canada's rate sitting at 108/1M
- Global rate is 33.2/1M
- US rate is 217/1M
- Austria rate is 69/1M
- Spain is 543/1M
- Sweden is 279/1M
Notable points for today:
- Spain's rate of increase ticked up ever so slightly, but is still under 1%. The last 4 days in a row are the lowest daily death tolls in well over a month.
- Austria also ticked up slightly but is still under a 1% rate of increase.
- The rate of increase in Canada ticked up slightly as well but still under 5%.
- The US rate of increase spiked yesterday, to over 3%, stopping a 5 day trend of decline.
- Sweden decreased a bit yesterday but is still over 3%.
- Was a day of increases nearly across the board. Not what we are hoping for, but nothing too drastic either. Remember, as countries begin loosening restrictions, the numbers are going to tick back up, so we all need to prepare for that.